insurance & protection

Insurance & Protection

Planning for the unexpected

If you’re looking to protect a mortgage, make sure you leave money behind for loved ones, protect your business or other areas such as private medical insurance and critical illness cover we have got it covered.

We’ll design a tailor made solution that fits in with your objectives and comes in at a budget that affordable.

To find out more about how each cover can help protect you and your family’s future, take a look at the below common questions.

Need more advice?

Call us

01332 561 000

What type of protection insurance are you looking for?

Life insurance

What is it?

A Term life insurance plan is the most basic form of life insurance and is usually the cheapest way to insure your life. It covers you for a fixed period and pays out a one off lump sum if you die during the policy term.

With some term insurance policies you can add additional options, for instance critical illness cover. If you do add on critical illness cover, the plan will pay out once on diagnosis of a qualifying critical illness or if you die during the term of the policy.

Who is it for?

This type of plan is designed for those who want to leave a lump sum in the event of their death within a specified time period whilst keeping the cost to a minimum. Term assurance can protect your family from the financial implications of a personal tragedy and is particularly important if you have young children or dependents. It can be used to cover a mortgage, other loan or to ensure that your family is protected from the effects of having to repay a debt after the main breadwinner has passed away. As qualified specialist advisers we can help you find the one most suitable to meet your requirements.

Critical illness

What is it?

A Critical Illness plan is designed to pay out a lump sum on the diagnosis of certain specified illnesses. It is often ‘bolted on’ to a life assurance policy as an additional benefit but can also be a standalone plan.

Who is it for?

This type of plan is designed for those individuals or families whom want a lump sum if they are diagnosed with a serious illness. As an example of where this lump sum could be used is to repay a loan, mortgage, or perhaps pay for time off work. The lump sum could even be used to pay for any necessary alterations to your home.

The quality of cover and the illnesses covered can vary significantly between different providers. As qualified specialist advisers we can help you find the most suitable one that best meets your requirements.

Income protection

What is it?

An Income Protection plan is designed to pay out a regular income in the event you are unable to work due to an accident or illness. These types of plans continue to pay out an income as long as you are unable to return to work up until the end date of the policy (typically your normal retirement age).

This type of plan is quite often seen as the foundation of any financial planning as it is likely that other plans will have to be given up if you do not have sufficient income coming into the household.

Who is it for?

This type of plan is designed for anyone whom is working (employed or self employed). It’s worth pointing out that even if your employer provides sick pay, it is unlikely to last for longer than twelve months and so ongoing protection is essential. Plans can be adapted to fit in with any existing protection you might have. As qualified specialist advisers we can help you find the one most suitable for your requirements.

This payment protection insurance is optional. There are other providers of Payment Protection Insurance [Short-Term Income Protection] and other products designed to protect you against loss of income. For impartial information about insurance, please visit the website at

Buildings & contents insurance

What is it?

If you have a mortgage, your lender will insist that your property (and their security) is protected by buildings insurance. It usually pays out if your property is destroyed by fire, floods or subsidence (although you will need to check if you live on a flood plain, for example). Damage to fixed fittings such as baths and kitchens are often included, as well as sheds, greenhouses and garages.

If you purchase a leasehold property (such as a flat in a block of flats) the freeholder may have arranged buildings insurance for the whole block, in which case you may not need your own buildings policy.

What isn’t covered?

Your cover is based on what your home would cost to rebuild. You can check whether you have enough buildings insurance through the Building Cost Information Service (BCIS) website. It has an online tool to help you calculate the sum you should insure your building(s) for, in case your home has to be entirely rebuilt.

As always feel free to contact us to we can make sure you have the right cover that fits your needs.


Quite often you hear ‘it could never happen to me’ or ‘I’ll sort it out later’. Well the old maxim of “failing to plan is planning to fail” is no better suited to the ignoring of crucial decisions on protection.

Many people, often without realising it, will come into contact at some point of their lives with a trust in one form or another. Yet trusts are widely misunderstood and often seen as something just the rich need be concerned with. This leaflet aims to give a quick overview of how trusts work, what they are most commonly used for and to correct some of the widespread misconceptions held about trusts. Trusts are found around the world, but particularly in those countries where the legal system has its roots in the English system. The exact technical details of trusts, how they are set up and how they are taxed vary from country to country, so this guide focuses only on some of the broad principles. If you need to know more you should contact a professional advisor.

What is a Trust?

Trusts are, in principle, a very simple concept. A trust is a private legal arrangement where the ownership of someone’s assets (which might include property, shares or cash) is transferred to someone else (usually, in practice, not just one person, but a small group of people or a trust company) to look after and use to benefit a third person (or group of people).

The person giving the assets is usually known as the “settlor” in the UK or a “grantor” in the US (but can also sometimes be called the “trustor” or the “creator”). The people asked to look after the assets are called the “trustees” and the person who benefits from the trust is called the “beneficiary”. The details of the arrangement are usually laid out in a “trust deed” and the assets placed in the trust are the “trust fund”. One common misconception is that the assets in the trust fund are legally owned by the trust. In fact, a trust, unlike a company, cannot own assets and instead the trustees are the legal owners of the assets. The distinctive feature of a trust is therefore the separation of legal ownership and beneficial ownership of the assets in the trust fund. The trustees are the legal owners of the assets, but the trustees must at all times put the interest of the beneficiaries above their own. Thus, the settlor of trust can be a trustee, but they must still act in the interests of the beneficiary, not themselves.

Trusts can take effect during the lifetime of the settlor (in which case in the UK they are be called a “lifetime settlement”) or shortly after the death of the settlor (in which case in the UK they are called a “will trust”). There is also a wide-range of different types of trust depending, for example, on how the benefits of the trust fund are to be distributed. The basic principle that a trust contains assets owned by someone for the benefit of someone else nevertheless remains true in all forms of trust.

Explore the possibilities

Start today with your project